Monday, September 5, 2011

My Esthetic Profession

    I guess I have to confess something:  I went into esthetics because I really wanted to practice Reiki more fully!  Through my esthetic work I have introduced many people (mostly women) to Reiki. 
    But there have also been some unexpected and positive things that have happened to me while I have been in the "beauty business."  One is the number of good friends I have made while being an esthetician.  My teachers and co-workers (except for a few shallow, greedy and thoughtless types) have been great people.  I have become a mentor, in a way, to clients, not only in showing them how to take care of their skin but also in sharing whatever wisdom I've been able to garner over the course of my life.  (I must add that I try to do the latter with their approval!).  And I've benefited from the knowledge and experience of my clients  as well.
     The "beauty business" is like any other, but it's special because of its feminine character.  I like the casualness, the ability to make your own hours and to shape the business the way you want.  I design my own business cards and brochures and I'm the webmaster for our little salon's website.   That way I get to use my artistic skills and get positive reinforcement for it from my co-workers and clients.  And speaking of positive reinforcement: the atmosphere at our salon is very supportive and warm, which makes work a pleasure.
      I am grateful for my "second career" (to tell the truth, though, I never really had a "first career" at all!).  I had no idea that my life would be so enriched by choosing to be an esthetician. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Vancouver, Washington, United States
Spiritual seeker, artist, writer, esthetician, dream facilitator and all around strange duck